President of East Timor 2007-2012; Prime Minister, Minister of Defence 2006-2007
Date of birth:
Born 26 December 1949
Professional and political experience:
- Senior Minister, National Security Advisor, National Security Council, Office of the Prime Minister, TIMOR-Leste, (2017 - );
- Member, High Level Board on Mediation, established by the UN Secretary-General (2017-2019);
- External Advisor to the President of the UN General Assembly, 2017-2018;
- Commissioner, International Commission on Refugee Policy, chaired by Hon. Kofi Annan, Geneva (2017- ).
- Vice-President, Asian Peace and Reconciliation Council (APRC), (2012 - ) APRC, Bangkok, comprising former Heads of State and Govt and Ministers from Asia working on mediation.
Recent past positions:
- President of the Republic (2007 - 2012)
- Prime Minister, Minister of Defence (2006-2007)
- Senior Minister, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation (2002-2006)
- Cabinet Member, United Nations Transition Administration for East Timor - UNTAET (2000-2002)
- Minister for Foreign Affairs and Information, in the first Govt proclaimed in December 1975 following Timor-Leste's Unilateral Declaration of Independence, and Representative, Spokesperson, for the Resistance (1975-1999);
- Chair, High Level Independent Panel on UN Peace Operations, appointed by Secretary-General Ban Kie-moon (November 2014 - 2016);
- Co-Chair, Independent Commission on Multilateralism, International Peace Institute, New York (2014-2016), chaired by former PM of Australia Hon. Kevin Rudd;
- Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General and Head of the UN Integrated Peace Building Mission in Guinea-Bissau (Jan 2013- June 2014).
Credit: photo by Peter Badge